Friday, June 18, 2010

Ancient Ruins! Moroccan Edition

So this post is a long time coming, especially considering how short it's going to be. But sometime in April (?) Patti and I went to Volubilis, an ancient Roman city outside of Meknes. It was a pretty cool place. Getting there was kind of anti-climactic though. I'd been wanting to go since the beginning of the semester, so there was a huge buildup of excitement and anticipation. Once I finally got there it wasn't as awesome as I'd expected. :( It was still cool, but I think I build it up in my head. Having gone to the ruins in Turkey didn't help very much, because they were so much more epic.

That said, Volubilis is pretty much just the foundations of a bunch of houses, plus two big gates and some random walls. Not very well preserved. Some of the buildings had mosaics as floors and those were roped off but were still easily accessible so they're a little worn down. I'm glad I went, but it's not something I'd jump at the chance to go back to. Ah, well.

Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment