Saturday, April 25, 2009

The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

Friday, 4.17.2009

Not too much to say about this one. Got up, ate breakfast, almost missed the shuttle from the hostel thing back up to the top of the mountain. Played with a kitty who had just had kittens while we waited for the minibus back to Antalya. Got lunch at the bus station. I don't even know what I got. Doner kebab I think? Discovered that I'm not really a fan of Turkish yogurt. It's not bad, I just don't like it. (As opposed to European yogurt, which is just yucky.) Commence 8-hour bus ride from Antalya to Anakara. What movie did they play on the bus?

The Patriot.

Yeah. So we're on a bus full of Turks, watching a movie about the American Revolutionary War. Awesome. There was something wrong with it the first time, so they just gave up. They restarted it after our half hour stop and this time it worked. I think Carolyn and I were the only ones watching it. I don't even know if I count since it was dubbed in Turkish and I obviously had no clue what was going on. I'd never seen the movie before. Oh well. But yeah. Most of the bus was asleep while the movie was on. It was fun stuff.

We pulled into Ankara under the most threatening-looking clouds ever, but it didn't rain too hard at all. We stopped at a bakery to get a birthday cake for Carolyn's friend Ahmet, at whose house we were spending the night. The music in the bakery? "As Long As You Love Me." By the Backstreet Boys. I laughed. A lot. This song is 10 or 11 years old. I know this because I sang it in the talent show in 5th grade. (shudder) Moving on. Got to Ahmet's house. He spent some time studying at VCU. [I thought he and Carolyn went to the same uni in Ankara, but I was wrong. Surprise.] Everyone in his family spoke English except his dad. That made it just a little awkward for me, but hey. We ate some Turkish food with the family and it was good even though I have no idea what it was. Walked around the city for a little bit, hunting down some of Carolyn's friends. Went back to Ahmet's house and passed out. Fun stuff. For some reason, being on a bus for hours is really exhausting. =/

A few pics

1 comment:

  1. correction: Ahmet does not go to the university I went to in Ankara. and the stuff you ate was mantı and there was also some pasta, but i dont know if you ate that

    ReplyDelete